When Mel B filed for divorce from her husband of ten years, Stephen Belafonte, many people assumed that there was some kind of domestic abuse involved. Stephen had been arrested for abusing a former partner and once bludgeoned a duck to death with a brick, for which he was given a fine. Plus Mel showed up on the set of X Factor in 2014 with bruises on her face. Something was going on behind the scenes, although both Mel and Stephen denied that there was abuse. In Mel’s request for a restraining order, which was granted yesterday, she details several instances of abuse by Stephen and it’s horrifying. What’s more is that he forced her into threesomes, taped the sex against her will and then threatened to release the tapes if she left him. That explains the threesome story we heard yesterday along with the likely source for that. Oh and Stephen got their nanny pregnant, coerced her into having an abortion and then paid the nanny off with $300k of Mel’s money.
Mel B’s lawyers got a restraining order Monday, forcing Belafonte to stay away from Mel and her 3 kids and ordering him to leave the family home.
In her declaration, Mel B tells a horrific story of abuse. Here are some of her allegations:
– November 2007, the night of her “Dancing with the Stars” finale, as she was getting ready at home, she says Stephen placed both of his hands around her neck, began choking her and slammed her down onto the hardwood floors. She says this was the pattern … when she achieved any measure of success, he would “beat me down to let me know he was in charge.”
– July 2012, while she was taping ‘X Factor,’ she was going to tape a segment with Usher, and Belafonte flew into a jealous rage, punched her with a closed fist in the face, splitting her lip. When she asked how she was supposed to work with the injury, he said she should have thought of that before deciding to “flirt with and f*** Usher.”
– August 2012, the day after performing at the closing ceremonies for the London Olympics, he punched her with a closed fist and pushed her down on the carpet. Her skin was burned from being pushed against the carpet and her face “actually scabbed over the rug burns.” He then forced her to tweet out she injured herself by running on 7″ Christian Louboutin heels.
– Mel B claims Stephen got their nanny pregnant. She says he told her he wanted to have the baby and “all three of us live together.” She says Stephen ultimately demanded the nanny get an abortion. She also says Stephen paid the nanny in excess of $300,000 of Mel B’s money “for alleged nanny services.”
– She also says in 2014, she was overcome with “emotional and physical exhaustion” and took an entire bottle of Aspirin. She tried calling 999 and he blocked her, throwing her in the bedroom, locking the door and “telling me to ‘die, bitch!’”
– She says Stephen has sex tapes of her and repeatedly threatened to release them to ruin her career.
– And, she says, he forced her to “participate in sexual intercourse with him and random women” and he would often secretly record the encounters. She says when she tried to resist the 3-ways, he’d threaten to release the sex tapes.
– Mel B says she tried to leave him many times, but he “threatened me with violence and threatened to destroy my life in every possible way … destroy my career and take my kids from me.”
Just reading that makes me sick to my stomach. Mel could have died during that suicide attempt and Stephen actively blocked her attempts to get help! He could have killed her killed her several times over and she was in fear for her life because he kept guns in the house. By the way, ATF agents raided their house for guns over the weekend after a tip. Stephen is not legally allowed to have firearms after his prior domestic violence conviction, but the feds didn’t find anything. Mel claims that Stephen has the gun in a lockbox in the bedroom. My heart goes out to Mel, and to all women in abusive relationships, for enduring his tyranny for so many years. Abuse affects so many women, who endure it silently and soldier on, just trying to survive and keep themselves and their kids safe. Now the word is out about Stephen. If only more women in this situation had a platform like Mel. Often their own family and friends don’t believe them. Abusers are such charming pieces of sh-t.
Photos credit: WENN.com